Tuesday 5 January 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

So I'm on my way home to Peckham after spending the day in Harrow with my daughter. Everyone (well the newspaper and emails from work, usually harbingers of bad news) are talking about the 18 inches of snow that's arriving tonight. Sounds like good news to me. I'm on day three of my Life Box project and I have only one post to show for it. So I'm sitting here on the tube thinking what have I learned so far? Well, for starters:

  • Never underestimate how tiring watching TV can be. That first day when I watched eleven hours nearly killed me.
  • David Attenborough had a much more varied wardrobe than I had remembered. In fact he had a different outfit for everyplace he went to.
  • Be careful who you ask to look at your first blog. Asking the most critical person you know might not be the best thing to do initially when you need some early encouragement.
And that's about it. Those are the biggies.

Oh and a couple of other things:

  • Natural selection, the most powerful force on the planet stopped some time ago. Unlike the insects, reptiles, dinosaurs and small mamals we didn't have to develop wings when we wanted to fly, we figured it out and built them. Long live "unnatural selection".
  • The expanse of time is as humbling as the expanse of space. Many times I've heard people talk about the Earth's history condensed to a year. But I never really took it on board. Imagine humans have been around for the last 2 minutes of the year! Dinosaurs came and went in a day, actually Christmas day.
  • Im part of a super-organism. I was born in a huge mammal colony which existed before I was born and will doubtless be here long after I've gone. I'm not an individual but a member of that super-organism, which unlike the ant colony it resembles, is not quite sure what its purpose is.
So that's what I have learned so far. That and rabbits eat their own poo. Im now in Peckham Rye. It still hasnt snowed though it looks like it could. I hope it does. David had a rather fetching ice blue parker last time he was in Antarctica I think. I wonder what hes going to wear tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment